“The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.”
- Alberto Giacometti
2018 Artist Event Rules
· Artists must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
· Artists must paint on location within a ten-mile radius (as the crow flies) of Victor City Hall. This radius includes Cripple Creek.
· Only flat, two-dimensional artwork is allowed.
· The artwork must be started and finished during the event dates.
· Blank canvases must be date stamped by an event official during the Artist check-in. Finished paintings must show the date stamp. The date stamp must be visible on the back of your work.
· The maximum dimensions of paintings, including frame, may not exceed 900 square inches. Maximum width may not exceed 36”. Please see different rules for Miniatures.
· Each artist may enter a maximum of four paintings in any combination of the following categories:
a. “en plein air”: Up to 3 paintings of a landscape or street scene done entirely on location. Minimum sales price for each is $125.
b. “Interior”: Only 1 painting from this category is allowed. The artist must be inside a Victor/Cripple Creek area building while painting the interior scene. Minimum sales price for each is $125.
c. “Miniature”: Only 1 painting from this category is allowed and may be either an en plein air or interior subject. Maximum painting surface is 35 square inches. Framed completed work will not exceed 80 square inches. Minimum sales price is $75.
d. “Wrapped Canvas”: Only 1 painting from this category is allowed and may be either an en plein air or interior subject. Minimum sales price for each is $125.
· All artwork must be framed and affixed with wire hanger.
· Artists should have a current biography on the back of each painting. Artists must provide two current biographies at Artists Check-In of which one biography will be on display in the gallery. Bring 2” x 3” business cards for patrons.
· Finished artwork is judged and prizes are awarded. See VCTA website for details.
· Brush-Rush: One historic site in Victor is selected by VCTA and revealed at 9:00 AM on the patio of the Victor Elks Lodge. The event is open only to registered artists. One stamped, unframed canvas or paper is allowed, maximum size 14” x 18”. Artwork is returned to the Elks no later than 12:30 PM and judged by registered artists.
· Quick Draw: Registered artists check in with VCTA Coordinator in Wallace Park before 9:00 AM. Live models and props are available to artists as painting subjects. Public judging on site at conclusion of event.
· Young at Art artists please see the Young at Art tab on VCTA website, or contact 719-689-5836.